Despite the Hotmail and other email services offering the best security for your accounts through a password and two-step verification, there are chances that your account information can get compromised by the activities of internet fraudsters and cyber criminals. They have the uncanny knack of cracking your email account details and use it to their advantage.
So, if you are looking at an added layer of protection over and above the password and the two-step verification for your Microsoft Hotmail account, then you can make use of the email aliases feature that Hotmail offers. By using the email aliases, you can create multiple and independent email addresses for your single account. By this way, the hackers will not be able to get access to your original single account as you will always be making use of your email aliases.
The need for an email alias
You can make use of the email aliases feature to create a very difficult alias as your password recovery address so that the hackers and the online criminals will not be able to hack your account and gather your personal information like credit card details, bank account details, etc. You can make use of these junk email addresses to be provided to the websites and apps that force you to register for an account to make use of their services. This is one of the best and trusted ways to prevent the online markets from getting access to your main email account.
Creating an alias email on Hotmail
Microsoft Hotmail offers you the option of setting up to 10 email aliases for your primary or personal email account at any given time.
- Open your favorite web browser and type hotmail.com or www.outlook.com in the address bar.
- You will be taken to the Microsoft account “sign in” page. You should first enter your email address that ends with @Hotmail.com in the type box that you see on the screen and then click on the Next option.
- You will now be directed to the page where you will be asked to enter your password in the type box. Enter the right password for the email address that you have given and then click on the sign-in option to get access to your Hotmail inbox.
- When you are in the Hotmail inbox, you should click on the settings option that you see on the top right corner of your inbox and then choose the more settings option from the drop-down menu list.
- You will be directed to the next page where you get to see managing your account option. Here, you should locate “create an Outlook or Hotmail alias” and click on it.
- You might be asked to sign in to your Hotmail account once more for security reasons. Please do it if you are asked to again sign in to Hotmail to move forward.
- After this, you will be taken to the alias creation page.
- You will be asked to enter the name of the email address that you would like to use as the alias address and since you are looking for a Hotmail account, you will need to choose the @Hotmail.com option.
- After this, click on “create an alias” option to create the alias email address.
- If the address that you have taken is not used by anyone else, you will be taken to your Hotmail inbox. You can then have the option of choosing the emails that you receive on your new alias email address to be delivered to your private inbox or even choose it to be delivered to a separate folder.
- After you have chosen where you want the alias emails to come, you can click on the Dome option to complete the setup of the Hotmail alias email account.
- You will receive an email message from Hotmail stating that your alias email account is ready for use.
Once the new alias account is running, you can use the same Hotmail account password to sign in to the alias account. You also have the option of making the alias account as the primary identity account for Hotmail and Microsoft services. You will not be able to change your primary alias email account to your email address if you are using a work or a school account.
How to delete a Hotmail email alias?
- You will need to first sign in to your Hotmail account first like you do always.
- Once you are in your Hotmail inbox, click on the gear icon that you see on the top right corner of the page.
- Now, click on the “more mail settings” option from the drop-down menu list.
- Once you are in the mail settings option, look for Account details option and click on it.
- Now, look for the Notifications option in the left panel and then click on it.
- Finally, you need to look for the manage email preferences option and click on it.
Here, you will be seeing a new page to appear with “your email address” as the title. It will display all the aliases that you have set under the title “other email addresses”. You will see a “remove” option to the alias name that you have created. Choose this option for the particular alias email account that you wish to delete. By doing so, the email alias account will be deleted.
If you delete one alias account, you will not be able to create another email alias if you have exhausted you’re the alias creation limit for a single account in a year.