Hotmail account users in the past had faced concerns such as accounts being infiltrated and hacked into. From the time Hotmail was made part of MSN Microsoft has stepped up its efforts to make Hotmail a more secure email experience. There has been a number of integration efforts that Microsoft put in to make sure that email hacking and spam infiltration were reduced for Hotmail users. Hotmail was initially made part of the Live domain; it has now become part of the Outlook domain and the emails share an integrated platform.
Microsoft has introduced the 2-step verification process to help safeguard the accounts of the email users, both on Hotmail as well as on Outlook. As both emails are part of a unified domain, the two step verification process or two factor authentication process is an effort by Microsoft to add on an additional layer of security. This makes it difficult for hackers to gain access easily of user accounts. Hence, even if one knows the username or password of your account, they will still find it difficult to access your account when you have activated the second layer authentication feature.
There are several ways one can set up or activate the two step verification process. One can key in additional inputs like a secondary email address, register a phone number, configure to have passwords sent and synchronized through an authenticator app and so forth. When the second layer of authentication is set up one will need to sign in every time they wish to access their account from a new location or a new device. This makes it difficult for anyone else to try and access your account. The steps to activate the 2-step verification process for one’s Hotmail account are showcased below:
- If one wishes to use the authenticator app they can do so by registering a phone number with the account. Once the app is set up, one does not need to be connected to a mobile network to receive the authentication code.
- In the security settings one can find the link for setting up two step verification process.
- One can choose the app option that appears here. Users need to specify the kind of device they are using. As per the device selected, one might be asked to scan a barcode that appears on their phone or type in the code that is sent as a text message.
- Once the app is created and paired with your account, you can easily get entry to your account by typing in the code that gets generated in your phone app.
The two step verification with a registered phone number is another option to safeguard your Hotmail account. The steps to follow in this case are as follows:
- Under Security settings you will find the option to set up two step verification process.
- You will be able to select the phone number option from the drop down list that appears.
- Once you key in the phone number you will then receive a security code in your phone as a text message. When you key this in you will be able to verify your sign in process for your account.
The other options that are available for the two step verification process is to ensure that you have a valid secondary email address registered. This will also enable you to receive alerts when you or someone else is trying to gain access to your account. Under the security settings you need to ensure that you have registered a secondary email address. This needs to be verified. When you click on the verification link that is sent to your email address it will help to register your email address.
The other aspects by which you can safeguard your email account are to provide details to two security questions you select. These can be selected from drop down lists provided in the account settings. When you select two questions and save answer for them, these can help you recover your account details such as recover a lost password if the need arises.
Security of an account also comes from the way a password is selected for an email account. For making it difficult for anyone to hack into an account one needs to ensure that their password is a strong one. It can comprise of eight characters that are alphanumeric in combination. Hence a strong password needs to have a combination of letters in upper and lower case as well as include special characters and numbers as well.
Often people use their email account simultaneously in different devices. The account remains logged in from a laptop as well as one’s smart phone or tablet. Hence, it can be easy for anyone to access one’s email in such cases. However, with the two step verification process activated it makes it difficult for the account to be accessed from a new location or a device without raising alerts. There are email notifications that are sent when one opens their email account on a new device or from a new location.
With the two-step-verification process as well as spam filtration mechanism Microsoft has been able to ensure that the email domain of Outlook and Hotmail remain secure for the users. Most users see less of spam mails coming into their inbox; with handy features to block or to sweep of clutter or useless emails, it is possible to keep off spam mails from cluttering one’s inbox. The two step verification process, not only makes it harder for people to infiltrate your account, but also helps you safeguard recovery of account password when you wish to recover the same.